Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roast Pork in Soy Sauce

It's been a while since I last posted a new recipe. I've tried a few recipes but those didn't make it to this blog because frankly.. uh, they didn't turn out too well and I didn't really want to bother posting if it wasn't good enough to share.

We got a huge piece of pork loin on sale from the grocery store last week and figured that this was a good time to try out this recipe from my cookbook that I've been eyeing for a long time.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean pork fillets
Marinade:
  • 6 tablespoons dark soy sauce

  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry

  • 1 teaspoon five-spice powder

  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed

  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
Glaze:

  • 4 tablespoons superfine sugar

  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  1. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade. Spoon over the pork, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Drain the pork, reserve the marinade.

  3. Place the pork on a roasting rack over a roasting pan. Cook in the oven, occasionally basting with the marinade for 1 hour or until cooked through.

  4. Place the superfine sugar and vinegar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until syrupy.

  5. When the pork is cooked, remove from the oven and brush with the sugar syrup. Leave for about 5 minutes, then slice.

Verdict: This recipe turned out so-so, I think. It's not exactly like how my Ama used to make it, but close enough. Next time, I would use a different kind of dark soy sauce. For this recipe, I used Mushroom flavored dark soy sauce and the roast pork turned out too dark. I would use Silver Swan soy sauce next time.

No comments: