So we've been buying chicken during our weekly grocery trips and we are fast running out of options for preparing chicken. So I turned to the net and my favorite cooking site, Pinoycook.net, and
I found a recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken Fillets.
We tried the recipe and the dish turned out good on our first try except that it was too sweet for our taste. We have since revised the recipe to suit our tastes and to make use of the ingredients that we have in our kitchen and this is the result.
1.5 lbs Boneless & skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
flour (for dredging the chicken)
cooking oil (for deep frying the chicken)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger (we grated this instead)
1 small bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1 small carrot, sliced
1 cup water
1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 cup - 2 tbsp sugar (subtracted 2 tbsp sugar from the original recipe)
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp tmato paste
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sesame oil
pineapple chunks (new addition)
toasted sesame seeds (new addition)
- Season chicken strips with seasoned salt and then dredge in flour.
- Deep fry the chicken till golden brown, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Saute garlic & ginger. Add the vegetables and stir fry over high heat for around 45 seconds.
- Stir together water, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and cornstarch.
- Return chicken to the skillet or wok and pour in the sauce. Stir till sauce thickens and clears.
- Add the pineapple chunks and stir around to coat the pineapple with sauce. (Note that by adding the pineapple chunks at this stage, it probably didn't lend a lot of flavor to the dish. We like it this way).
- Turn off the heat and drizzle with sesame oil just before serving.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds.
This is good for 4 to 5 servings.