Thursday, August 14, 2008

Crunch time

When hubby moved to the US with me last year, he decided that he wanted to go into a more technical line of work. He's had different types of work and responsibilities before but his love has always been hardware and he wanted to make the transition.

During his job-hunting days, we found out - it was actually more of a confirmation rather than a surprise - that one would need to get certifications to move ahead in his line of work. Hubby had none.

Hubby was blessed enough to find a company who was willing to overlook his lack of certifications and take a chance on him. This is such a huge blessing for us because up till now, we don't really know how this company came across his resume. He did not apply for a position with them and their hiring personnel can't remember how they even got hold of his information.

Modesty aside, I would have to say that his company lucked out when they hired hubby because he did not only have the skills that was needed but he also had the drive and a natural ability to diagnose and address technical issues. His benefits package wasn't bad either, aside from the usual health and dental benefits, he also gets to get certified for free. The company pays for all certifications that you pass.

This brings me to the matter that's weighing on my mind right now. Hubby has always been scared to take chances and to get exams. I have to admit that this is quite normal, after all, who enjoys taking exams and being graded, anyway ? So his first sets of certifications were easy ones but it took him months to get ready. Most of this time was really spent conditioning himself and building up confidence to take the step.

His colleague, who is very happy with hubby's work, took the initiative and started a conversation between their boss, him and hubby. He then put hubby in the position where he had to set an exam date, para matapos na. Everything went well :)

Oh, by the way, did I mention that hubby is entitled to get a salary increase for every certification that he completes?

So with the first test completed with flying colors, hubby was inspired by his success and went on to take up some more tests. These tests resulted in 3 total certifications (some certifications required multiple exams on different but related topics).

Now, the momentum is gone. I don't see him reading books or review materials instead I see him playing all the time. When home, he's either holding on to a Nintendo DS or playing games on his PC. :(

To be fair, I am also in the same situation. I keep saying that I want to complete a certification as a personal goal and yet, I'm in front of the TV when I'm not working. Bad, no ?

I came up with an idea early this week and challenged hubby to commit to an exam date. Sabi ko, we should both commit to an examination time frame, say X months from now, and work to meet that deadline. I figure that with both of us studying, there's lesser chances of him feeling bad that he has to study while I just laze around watching TV.

I have not gotten him to agree to my plan yet, so I still have some cajoling to do. In terms of studying, it's been a couple of days since I issued him that challenge and I have yet to take up a book. I really really need the motivation.

I'll start tonight. Pramis. I hope....

1 comment:

Mai said...

Congrats on the exams that he passed! Sometimes a break is needed to avoid burnout di ba? :-) But it's nice that both of you get to encourage each other.

What certs are you looking at?