Monday, August 25, 2008

Carrot Cake

I got this recipe from my Aunt in California when I visited last June. She was on a carrot cake cooking binge and would cook different batches (she'd be giving most of the cakes away) while she experimented and looked for the best recipe & combination.

Dad isn't too fond of eating sweets but he liked the frosting on this one.

When I got home, I decided to try this out and see if I got the recipe right. This turned out good but yielded a lot of cakes! I will halve the recipe next time I do this so we don't get stuck with carrot cake for several weeks.

I have to give a word of warning to first timers though, shredding carrots is a hard job! My arms were so sore afterwards.

CAKE:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil

ICING:
1/3 cup cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup chopped cashews
  1. Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
  2. Add eggs, cooking oil and beat for 5 minutes.
  3. Grease 13x9 in pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Stick a toothpick and pull it out, if nothing sticks to the toothpick, your cake is done.

4 comments:

Aybee said...

Hi Jean! I love making carrot cakes also... pero natuto na rin ako sa kaka-shred ng carrot. Kaya hiningi ko last christmas was a food processor... super helpful!

- Ivy

popcorn said...

I tried using a food processor too, pero di ko sure kung pangit yung food processor ko or di lang tama yung attachment na gamit ko but what happens is that the carrot just sticks to the (grater) blade and goes round and round and round.

Kainis. :P

Marilou / Lucky Cow Shop said...

looks yummy!!! buti you know how to cook and bake. Kadi ako hindi marunong. And I don't have the time to learn.

My life now is to work, to blog, to wash my clothes and hubby's underwear, and to take care of baby Ivan.

popcorn said...

Hi Berryblitz,

Hindi naman ako magaling magluto or mag bake, pero I can follow recipes.

Si hubby naman marunong tumikim and magsabi kung anong masarap (kulang sa timpla, etc). So I rely on his taste and I supply the manpower :P

Now, mas may oras kami kasi wala pang baby. Sana pag may kids na kami we can still experiment with different dishes.