Monday, February 2, 2009

Coupon Discrimination

I've talked about coupon clipping on and off these past several months and obviously, I am a coupon-clipper. So far, I've seen different reactions from store clerks whenever I present my coupons. Most of the time, they don't care. It's a common enough practice and it's no big deal.

Every so often, I do encounter raised eyebrows. Just last night, hubby and I went to Dunkin Donuts. We had 2 coupons - one for a free Dunkaccino and another coupon that lets us buy 2 donuts at 99c.

When I handed the coupons to the clerk, hubby was right beside me. We were told that we weren't allowed to use both because the coupons are limited to one per customer per visit, I then pointed out that hubby and I were 2 customers.

For a fraction of a second, I think the DD staff had his eyebrows raised. I felt a bit insulted and thought that he was looking down on us because not only did we come in with coupons, we came with 2!

He did let us use both of them and it was sort of funny too. Remember, it was one coupon per customer ? So, I gave hubby the other coupon and handed mine in first and said "I'll use this". He gave me a free Dunkaccino (no purchase required).

When that transaction was done, hubby then handed his in, selected the 2 donuts and when it was time to pay, he paid from his wallet. The total came to $1.06 with taxes, hubby didn't have coins so I got some from my wallet and gave that to hubby so that he can hand it to the cashier because after all, it was his coupon and his purchase.

And you know how you're supposed to tip baristas, right ? The change usually goes into their "TIPS" jar ? Now, I am an avid DD fan and drop by whenever I get the chance. I usually make sure that I give a chunk of change especially when I get good service. This time ? I paid $1.10 and got 4c in change. 4c went in to the TIP jar, just to annoy him (and no, we don't plan to drop by that branch in the near future, there are plenty of other DD branches in our neighborhood). If I had been a little bit more annoyed, the 4c would have gone back into my wallet.

Now, as I'm typing this up, I can't shake the nagging feeling that I might have been in the wrong. Is it shameful ba ? or embarassing to use coupons ? I do know some Filipinos who refuse to use discount coupons because its embarassing. Or did we, perhaps, abuse the system when we maximized our savings when we used 2 coupons in one trip ?

2 comments:

Marilou / Lucky Cow Shop said...

sa mcdo, 1 coupon per transaction. so, each of us, kanya kanyang pila =)

it's a coupon, what's the use of coupon? ok lang yung ginawa mo, eh hiwalay naman na receipt eh hehehe

i think you need feedbacks from others kc i love coupons ren hahaha

Anonymous said...

I don't mind using coupons but I wouldn't go out of my way.

That being said, I don't think you abused it. I think the DD cashier was ignorant. This is an opportunity for them to provide good service in hopes you'd come back even without coupons! They probably need some training.