Friday, January 18, 2008

Getting things done

I feel like I've gotten a lot of things accomplished this week.

At home, there's this heating & cooling system maintenance appointment that I've been meaning to set up. In fact, I must have gotten at least 10 reminder calls from the company already since November of last year. You'd think that this would be easier for me since I work from home but our home heating/cooling system has a compressor (?) that's up on the roof and I needed to talk to the bldg superintendent to get access. I didn't get to talk to the super until last night.

Getting to the super last night was a stroke of luck too. He lives in the same building and we see him all over the place all the time. But when we need to talk to him, we can't find him - Murphy's law :D So last night, I found a memo from the condo association left outside our door. The memo says that they found out that most of the smoke detectors in the units were still the original units from when the building was built. These need to be replaced (for safety reasons, of course) and the condo board has pre-ordered smoke detectors by bulk and that the super would replace them for us. I called up the super and he came over and replaced our detector in minutes. Galing! He told me that ours is the 16th that he's replaced within the afternoon and that he gets better at it every time :)

We were also able to give our Holiday gift card to the super. We've been dropping by his place every now and then since last Christmas but since he's usually out and about the grounds, he's very hard to pin down w/o a prior call or appointment.

I also have appointments set up for our car service for next weekend and a doctor's appointment for me (OB) following that. These are also some of the things that was in my list since last week.

Speaking of next week, I also need to plan a menu for the following week (last week of January) as I'll be flying to MA again and will be staying there for a week and a half for training and meetings. I'll be leaving hubby all alone and if my memory serves me right, he's always just resort to hotdogs, bacon, eggs and spam for his meals. Kawawa naman. I plan to prepare ready-to-cook meals (hubby can fry or use the oven / turbo broiler) or freeze cooked meals that he can just reheat.

So far, this is what I have on my list:
- lumpiang shanghai
- meatballs
- marinated porkchops (for frying or baking)
- spaghetti sauce (tomato based and alfredo sauce), he can just boil the pasta
- Chicken stuffed w/ bacon
- burger patties
- chicken embutido (from a Pinoycook.net recipe that I've been wanting to try out)
- gyoza (he can boil and/or pan-fry)

I could probably cook some pork adobo ahead of time and freeze that. Any other suggestions ?

.. and if it's not already apparent from my list, we're not good at making veggie dishes so we try to eat as much fruits as we can.

No comments: