Thursday, February 28, 2008

Update

Now, I've taken on the role of development manager (used to be developer + pre-sales on the side) and it seems like I've been taking more trips - a lot more than usual. Funny how things work out, huh ? To date, I've taken 4 trips in January and another 5 in February. Hay!

We've also started to feel the pain of juggling our schedules so that we can make do with 1 car. I work from home most of the time so it didn't use to be a problem. Of the 9 trips that I've made in 2008, 3 of those required me to drive to the site so we've had to wake up extra early, drop hubby off at work, drive to the client location, and when I come back, there's usually some sort of question on whether I should go home first or just drive straight to hubby's workplace so I can just wait for him to get off. Twice, I even pulled off the highway to a parking lot so that I could make a conference call - that was during times when I had to drive hubby to / from work. Thank goodness for cellphones and those modems that lets my laptop get online even when I'm out.

Looks like we're in the market for a 2nd car. The original plan was to get a used car with a budget of $5k. Turns out that for $5k, we'd only be able to get 10 year old cars with > 100k miles in it. So that was kind of a turnoff. And I keep thinking... if we get a really really old car ? Who knows what sorts of things have happened in there ? Never mind.

So we decided to look for the cheapest brand new car that we can buy. Found the chevy Aveo advertised at prices start at the $9k range, we checked and found out that the $9k base car didn't have airconditioning and no power doors/locks... no radio, it was really just a shell of a car that has an engine that runs.

Maarte pala kami :) We wanted to have power locks and windows, airconditioning and a cd deck + radio at the very least. Oh yeah, we also want power-adjustable side mirrors because we switch cars/drivers a lot. So we've upped the budget a little. Hubby suggests that we should just try our luck with The Price is Right, we might get our 2nd car there. Haha!

We're looking at the Rav4 or a Highlander now. We're making a purchase and plan to keep this a long time and given that we have a tiny Subaru Impreza now, space would be a huge consideration in our 2nd car.

Any comments ? thoughts ? suggestions ?

No comments: