Thursday, February 21, 2008

Steamed Spareribs

We currently have a whole freezer fully stocked with meat - thanks to the Shoprite coupons that we were able to use last week. One of the meat packages that we got was pork spare ribs. I was planning to make some "Salt and Pepper pork ribs" but I didn't want to do more frying because of the lingering smell that always permeates the kitchen and living area after deep frying anything.

I decided to prepare our ribs ala dimsum style - steamed - and after some searching, I found this recipe by Weldon Russell posted on Cooking.com that I liked. I found myself missing a few ingredients so I ended up doing some substitutions and eliminating some altogether (I've noted those changes down in the recipe below).
Btw, the ribs were yummy! I really should stage my dishes nicely before taking any photographs. The photo above doesn't do this dish any justice.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp peanut oil (substituted olive oil)
2 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed under cold water, drained and roughly chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp chicken broth
2 tsp rice wine or dry sherry (used cooking sherry)
1 lb pork spareribs, chopped through in sections between the ribs
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 fresh red chili peppers, chopped (did not use)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp chopped cilantro (did not use)

1. Heat the oil in a hot wok. Add the black beans, salt and sugar, and saute gently for 10 seconds. Add the chicken broth, rice wine and light soy sauce. Simmer together for 30 seconds. Remove the sauce to a mixing bowl. Add the spareribs and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

2. Add the cornstarch and mix well to coat the spareribs. Place the ribs on a plate ready for steaming. Sprinkle on the red chili peppers, garlic and cilantro. Steam over boiling water for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Aybee said...

Yum! Looks very easy to make too. I think I'll prepare this one for the weekend. Thanks Jean for your interesting recipe's.