Thursday, June 11, 2020

Doordash

I wasn't up to cooking last night. Thankfully, the husband is easy to convince and we decided to go get some Japanese food. We tried this place for the first time last week when we had food ordered and I really enjoyed their kani salad.

We decided to try some rice bowls this time too.

As I was finalizing my order on Doordash and saw the total, I thought it seemed expensive at $51.xx. 2 rice bowls, 2 kani salads = $59.xx ?

I looked at the breakdown and saw that it had automatically suggested an $8 tip. I looked further and saw both a delivery fee and a service fee. Both fees add about $9. So all in all, I could see that if we went with Doordash, I'd have to pay $9 + tip more. I looked up the restaurant online, checked the address and it was only 2.8 miles away. I figured, nah, not worth $9+tip.

So I called in my order and went.

And guess how much I paid ? $37.
My original total was around $39 and got a 5% discount for paying in cash.

Yun pala, food prices are padded in Doordash pa and on top of this, they charge service fee AND delivery fee. I did some reading and found articles saying that if you send a tip, the company gets it too (or part of it).

Not sure if the price hop is because of Doordash or from the restaurant, I did read that on top of the delivery fee and the service fee, they also get a 20% commission from the restaurant - that probably is the reason for the price difference.

DoorDashRestaurant
Kani Salad7.995.99
Kani and Seaweed Salad8.996.99
Chicken katsu rice bowl9.998.99
Chicken teriyaki rice bowl9.998.99

No comments: