Sunday, January 27, 2013

Flooding Aftermath 2 - Repairs

We booked our favorite handyman, Jeff (Nice Guy Handyman), for the repair job this weekend.

He started with the ceiling and cut off the parts that were damaged, repaired it & spackled. I'm sure I took pictures of the damages in the ceiling but I cannot find them now, will update this blog if I do come across them later.

While he was here to repair our entire 1st floor ceiling, we decided to also ask him to just fix the following in addition:

- hole in the wall under our window, this wall has been open since 2010. We were supposed to fix it ourselves but I figured that since it's been 2 years and we haven't gotten around to it yet, it was better to just pay to have it fixed.

- In 2009, I started replacing our old-style switches with decora style switches. Unfortunately, I also discovered that one of the 3-switches on one wall wasn't really done correctly. Instead of installing a 3-switch box in the wall, they installed a 2-switch box side by side with a single switch box. The result was that the spacing of the switches never fit quite right, their "fix" was not to screw in  the last switch to the wall, it was just left floating and was supported by the first two switches. Jeff dug up the old switch boxes and replaced it with a correct one (3-switch box). Among the repairs that was done this weekend, hubby thinks this is the most sulit because it was hard to do & he feels that we wouldn't even be able to do it ourselves.

- If you've been following my blog for a while, you would've seen references to my red wall a few times. In Jan 2012, a pipe burst and the superintendent had to cut a hole in the wall and ceiling to fix it. He later patched this up and spackled it, the actual fix was covered by the association but they refused to repaint the wall / ceiling. Super says that per our condo's rules, they will only cover the repainting if it was painted recently and since this was done over 5 years ago, it wasn't covered anymore (unfair, right ?).

So for the longest time, we had this huge patch of white on our red wall & ceiling. We still had leftover paint from when I first painted the red wall but since it was a dark colored, the white patch had to be primed first before we can paint. Needless to say, we never got around to it and it was an eyesore.

Today, we decided (at the last minute) to just have the entire wall painted to match the rest of the room (color: Gobi desert) since we had enough leftover paint anyway. Sulit rin.

By the end of the day, I felt so bad for Jeff. He was supposed to do this job in 3 installments with the following time estimates:
day 1: 2 hrs
day 2: 2 hrs
day 3: 4 hrs

But he decided to combine days 2 and 3 together - not sure if this was suggested by him or hubby when they talked about schedules last night. It works out well for us that he completed the job today because we only have to clean up - the house is so dusty from all the sanding - and only have to endure the paint fumes once (it's not so bad, really). On his end, he did say something about next week being Superbowl Sunday so I'm pretty sure he would not want to work that weekend either.

By the time he was replacing the wonky mechanism that controls the tub drain in our 2nd bathroom, I asked him if he was still okay. "I want to take a bath right here, right now... but if I do that, I'll fall asleep and won't be able to get up anymore," he said.

Poor guy... and then I remembered how much we were paying him for this job and I didn't feel so bad for him anymore.

No comments: