Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rice shortage ?

My sister starts ringing me yesterday while I was in the middle of a (work-related) conference call. I saw her name come up on the caller ID and I hit the busy button. A few minutes later, her name comes up again on my cellphone screen, I hit the busy button again. Predictably, her name came up again on my cellphone screen after a few minutes and annoyed now, I hit the busy button for the 3rd time.

She must have gotten the message after the 3rd call. I was busy.

Sis then tries to get hold of hubby. When she got through to him, apparently she had wanted to warn us to buy / hoard more rice. May shortage raw. She was just at Costco the previous day and gotten 2 sacks of rice for herself and my aunt. A friend (of the aunts') saw the rice and asked my sister for a favor if she could buy another sack for her. Sis went back to Costco and there was no more rice.

So panicking (a little, haha!), hubby drops by our local Asian store to get another 25 lb bag of rice. We just bought a 25lb bag the week before. Di naman ubos. Nobody else was panic buying... not at the time anyway ;)

So ano ba talaga ? I know that the prices are slowly going up... but is it *that* bad ? that we'd reach the point where we'd be willing to pay any price and still not be able to buy any?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talaga? I haven't heard about any rice shortage here. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

You're right! It's here too!

I also found this link:
http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world

popcorn said...

Hi Mylene, thanks for the link. I actually thought that my sister was premature when she panicked about the rice. I knew that prices were going up, but not that rationing is going to be done.. omg...

Now, am not regretting getting that 2nd bag of rice na.