Thursday, April 24, 2008

BIL's visit - arrival (part 1)

Hubby's bro - henceforth known as BIL (bro-in-law) - arrived on 4/12 and stayed with us for a week. We made all sorts of travel plans because he wanted to visit Atlantic city, Philadelphia and Washington DC. Oh and yeah, he wanted to visit NYC too, but since NYC is just a bus ride away, there's really no need to plan for that.

The night before he was scheduled to arrive, I made and finalized hotel bookings and booked hop-on-hop-off tickets for us (it was cheaper to get them online).

Unfortunately, we forgot about Murphy's Law.

BIL arrived on time at JFK - yay! we were actually ready for a delay because of all these AA flights that are getting cancelled. The thing is, BIL arrived but his luggages didn't.

We spent the next couple of hours in AA's baggage service department, 10 minutes of which was spent dealing with a bitchy agent who looked at BIL's luggage tags and said "I can't help you. Your luggage isn't here, it's in SFO" and when we asked her if there was a number we can call to get in touch with SFO's baggage service department, she said "no number. I don't know. I only deal with JFK baggages."

I'm not going to go into the details of how BIL's luggage got left behind in SFO, that's a whole new story altogether - and a long one at that! - but I would caution you to make sure that whenever you check in luggages, they should have tags that show your final destination. Do not allow the airline check-in agent to dismiss your concerns.

BIL's luggage arrived 2 days later.

I just have to say this, though, I really admire BIL's attitude. I didn't see him mad. He didn't raise his voice. Ang bait! And when we left AA's baggage services office in JFK (after being helped by other agents), it turned out that the only person left there was the bitchy gal - BIL thanked her.

I swear, I saw bitchy gal's eyes grow big and she couldn't talk for a few seconds. She was probably surprised because she didn't expect to be thanked after all the crap that she tried to feed us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ang bait nga niya.

That's one of my fears in travelling. Having my baggage get lost. It's been years since I've had to check baggage. But I just know it, the next time I have to it'll get lost.