Saturday, April 18, 2015

Vegetable garden

We've always wanted to have a vegetable garden but we didn't start one last year because we were going to be away for a vacation and so our raised planters remained empty (other than the weeds that sprouted - boo!). I bought seeds last year but decided, at the last minute, to not plant them.

This year, I tried to germinate (not sure if this is the right term) the seeds that I bought last year.

Since these are from last year, I wasn't sure if they're still viable so I decided to go with the paper-towel method. I soaked some paper towels, spread the seeds on the wet towels and sealed them in a ziploc bag - sort of like a mini-greenhouse. I made sure to label the bags, of course.

3 days later, the seeds have sprouted. I didn't completely open the bags so I have no idea if all seeds are good or not but here's a peek-preview. I may leave them in the bags for another day or two but I am thinking about getting a small greenhouse to put in the back, hopefully, tomorrow.

Sugar Snap Peas (the vine variety)

Sweet corn

Rio Grande Tomatoes

Spinach

Beefsteak Tomatoes


No comments: