Thursday, November 13, 2008

Skinless Longganisa

My sister in California buys the yummiest longganisa at her local asian market. Whenever I visit her, Mom would surely prepare some for breakfast one day and serve it with sunny side up eggs and garlic fried rice. I love my longganisa paired with vinegar infused with garlic & chili too.

The Asian food store that we go to sells longganisa by the bulk and since hubby isn't exactly a fan, I hesitate about buying a package.

A few days ago, I was browsing the web for recipes for ground pork and found a recipe for skinless pork longganisa.

Ingredients:
1 kilo ground pork, 10% fat
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp rock salt (or 1.5 tsp fine salt)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp ground black pepper


Blend all ingredients together.

Roll a small amount of the mixture in a 4.5 in x 3 in piece of waxed paper

Store in the freezer for 3 hours or until ready to cook.


I have to admit that I did have some doubts as to whether the mixture would stick together while being cooked because there's no egg or cornstarch to serve as a binder for the sausage. But this works.
When ready to cook, heat oil in a wok or frying pan.

Unwrap the sausages and fry in batches until fully cooked.

Drain on paper towels.

These look good, no ? The sausages look so rich and yummy and they were.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jean, you know i also tried this recipe last month! but mine didnt stick togtehr hahaha. i emailed connie and she said it might be the ground meat i used or the way i molded the longganisa. but yummy noh?

popcorn said...

Hi Jane! Yes, it might be the way you molded the longganisa. I made sure that mine were tight.

Actually, I'm still surprised that they kept their form even after being cooked.

Mai said...

That looks yummy! Nag-crave tuloy ako. I'll have to try that sometime