Monday, November 10, 2008

The (crazy) day that was my birthday

I mentioned in a previous post that we (my family) don't make a fuss during birthdays. I expected my birthday this year to be more of the same - same ordinary day, except I was a year older.

A couple of weeks before my day, hubby was already asking questions about what I wanted to do. I told him, "nothing." I just wanted to stay home and rest.

I woke up on Saturday morning to the phone ringing, it was Mom. Still groggy and half-asleep, I allowed the answering machine to pick up and listened to the message "Hi! Are you still sleeping ? or nag ce-celebrate na ng birthday?" I smiled, made a mental note to call them up later in the day and closed my eyes to sleep again.

A few seconds later, my cellphone started ringing. It was my family again. I peeked at the clock and saw that it was 10:30,... I figured it was time to get up. Kwento kwento... then friends started calling. Aliw, I even got a birthday song.

At around 12nn, I prepped the rib-eye steaks that we were having for lunch - that was supposed to be the celebration na - and I decided to make some spaghetti, para may noodles for long life. I wanted a cream-based sauce but couldn't decide on what to include. So wala na lang. I cooked some whole wheat pasta, heated up some bottled Alfredo cream sauce and made bacon bits (crispy fried bacon, cut up into smaller pieces) for the topping.

By 2pm, lunch was ready and I woke hubby up*. After the meal - masarap! - we cleared up the dishes and that was when it hit me.

"This is it ?"

Now that we've had these steaks and the spaghetti for lunch, tapos na birthday ko ? It was a depressing thought. The night before, it had seemed like such a wondrous idea to have the steaks for lunch because:

(a) I wasn't maarte so I didn't want people making a fuss over me on my bday
(b) good excuse to cook the steaks (they weren't cheap) and look at dem steaks, so succulent and cooked perfectly.
(c) tamad to go out

... and I realized that I don't get to go out daily anymore since I work from home and it's such a shame that I would want to spend my birthday cooped up indoors too.

So I cried.

It wasn't the dab-the-corner-of-your-eye-with-a-hanky kind of crying. I sobbed. Ugly, loud sobs. I sounded really pathetic and sad - hubby might have a different take on this, btw. In fairness, I really felt so depressed and insignificant. I was so mad at hubby too. Of course, I said that I didn't want anything special and that I didn't want to do anything BUT he should've made an extra effort. He should've made plans or at least did some research on where he could take me if and when I changed my mind.

My friend, V, commented that I'm "being such a girl" when I told him about this incident.

Thankfully, it wasn't too late to go out for dinner when the drama ended. We had dinner at a small carinderya type pinoy restaurant (my choice) in Bergenfield. We had lechon kawali and pinoy style pork barbeque, we loved the lechon kawali - it wasn't as good as Mama Fina's but this comes a close second. They also serve a lot of rice so Pinoys would be really pleased by this. I swear, we ate so much that I started thinking about having to find a lapband doctor just so I could fit back into my clothes.

After dinner, we stopped by a few stores: Bed bath and Beyond, Christmas tree shop, and a department store where I found my perfect pot. I bought a set and let Mom & Achi know that I was able to find their bday gift for me :P

... and then I was finally happy. Hubby is really such a patient and loving man. I am so blessed.

----

* hubby wakes up very early in the morning to get to work on weekdays so he likes to sleep in during the weekends, also, we usually stay up late - until early morning - watching movies on Friday nights.

1 comment:

Mai said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday!

Hehehe that reminded me of my 30th birthday. I don't usually celebrate birthdays but for some reason I was expecting a little extra something that day.