Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Draft Covers 2021/2022

We woke up to 18 degree weather today and my first thought was "sulit na the Columbia jacket I got for Swe-cha". As the day  went on, the temp did climb a little bit to a high of 38 F and boy, despite the heater running full blast, the house was FREEZING.


And with that, we finally hauled our lazy bottoms up and started putting up our vent draft covers.


I don't know why we keep putting off these covers until the cold becomes unbearable. I bet we'd be saving so much energy if we put them up early - perhaps, even as soon as we're done with the AC season. 


I was also still dealing with the laundry left over from my family's visit. I started with the bath towels and sheets last week and continued with the comforters today. And it being 18 degrees out, the basement was unbearable. I also did feel a huge draft coming into the basement from the window beside the freezer. 


I swear, when I opened the freezer to pull out gyudon for dinner, I couldn't tell which was colder - the air coming from the freezer or the air/wind blowing in from the window draft.


... and yes, our basement still has to be finished. I do count a major win today in that I finally convinced the husband to help me fashion a window cover for that drafty window.  I planned to use plastic window / door sealing sheets initially but thought cardboard might be a sturdier option. We've lost a light source so I guess we'll deal with this in the spring. 


In any case, the basement immediately felt less cold and I bet this is going to do loads of good for the upstairs living area too. 

No comments: