Saturday, May 23, 2020

Sourdough Garlic Knots

My friend, A, is an avid sourdough baker. She shared her sourdough starter with me last Mother's Day and I've been feeding it and just putting it back in the refrigerator.

I'm not ready to make sourdough bread yet as I have yet to decide on which Dutch oven  to get but I wanted to use the sourdough discard in some other recipe. I decided on Bread Experience's sourdough garlic knots.

I took my (still-unnamed*) sourdough starter  out of the refrigerator on thursday morning and fed it. It happily bubbled and doubled.


That night, I ran late and wasn't ready to start the prepwork until around 10p. I decided not to go through with it because this prepwork also involved around 2 hours of fermentation before you can put the dough back into the refrigerator.

I wasn't up to staying up till midnight so I decided to postpone.


The next night, I prepped according to instructions. In retrospect, I should have lessened the water a bit more than I did. The recipe author did caution against adding too much water if your starter is 100% hydrated which mine was. Unfortunately, this was my first time doing this so I had no idea what texture was good.

I divided the dough as needed and tied the knots. They were uneven, some bigger / smaller than the others but they did look like knots.

I put them back in the oven (not lit) to proof and waited for them to rise & double and when they did, I had to split them into two baking trays.
I will mention that by this time, my knots have sort of "melted" into what I could only best describe as blobs. My husband suggested a less-palatable term. Eek!

Despite its questionable looks, the sourdough garlic blobs did turn out okay.

No comments: