Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hacked

I turned my desktop on this morning because I wanted to scan some documents before I shred & throw them away. After scanning, I just left it on, thinking that I might need to print something out later on.

Now, I work from home during the day and when I lifted my eyes from my (company-issued) laptop and glanced at my desktop screen, I saw the mouse pointer moving! Surprised, I got the mouse and tried to get control of the pointer. When I stopped moving the mouse, I saw the mouse pointer move to click on the Start button, then it went and looked at the programs that are installed one by one before it finally settled on the icon for IE and clicked on it.

While I was watching those actions, I was thinking that it might possibly the hubby who was accessing my computer from his office. He has this thing about leaving PCs / laptops on all the time and then just would just connect remotely to retrieve files that he needed.

Anyway, when IE went up, I realized that this could be a hacker so I pulled off the internet cable. Then, I disconnected and turned off VNC.

I called up hubby to confirm. It wasn't him.

I thought that with a random (or so we thought) password for VNC, firewalls and an internet protection suite installed, we'd be safe. Apparently, not.

From now on, I will be vigilant and will shut down computers in the future. I've also turned off the wifi in our laptops, will just turn them on when we need them.

Grabe, *bleep* hackers.

6 comments:

Marilou / Lucky Cow Shop said...

Hmmmm I'm just wondering kung paano sya nakapasok! Do you have any of those FTP ports open or have you installed anything that would open a port for hackers?

Hindi ko kabisado yang mga ganyan. Pero minsan raw, nakakagawa ng paraan ang isang hacker kapag nakaopen yung isang port na puede nilang magamit to access your computer.

Just like PC Anywhere.

Horror naman yang experience mo!

popcorn said...

Hi Berry,

Ni check ni hubby last night, ayun pala may nakita siyang open na port sa router namin. Na open yun around last year pa, nag e experiment kami with ports last year kasi may kinuha kaming VOIP phone. And even after the phone was working, hindi na nasara yung port (hindi kelangang open).

Yun yung hula nya na napasukan, kasi nakita nya yung IP Address ng computer na pinasukan, nagkataon na yun yung address ng may open port.

so yun, from now on di na kami mag iiwan ng bukas na computer, unless necessary. and tinanggal na lahat ng VNC - di naman kelangan eh.

iceah said...

wow, grabe katakot nga :c hope hindi natuluyang nahack ang mga files nyo c:

Marilou / Lucky Cow Shop said...

sa bahay namin buong araw open ang computer. luckily wala namang nag aattempt hahaha, and chinese windows ren nakainstall dun. baka mainis lang si hacker

AEC said...

yipes! good thing you caught it on time.

Mai said...

How scary!