Friday, September 5, 2008

The best

My little brother who - at 28 - is not so little anymore, is coming over for a visit next week. He arrived in California last night and is staying at our Achi's place right now. It's been more than a year since I last saw him and I'm too excited for words. I have taken a leave of absence from work next week and am looking forward to showing him all the nice places in the East Coast. My bro has been coming to the US annually for several years now but he never comes to NY for a visit, I usually fly there and we all stay with my sister for a few weeks.


Anyway, I've been doing some tidying up of some sort in preparation for his visit. I've been using our 2nd bedroom as a home office since our NJ branch closed last year and it's too cluttered already.


Yesterday, I (finally!) washed the queen-sized comforter that I decided to use as a bedspread / quilt / cover for the bed in the 2nd bedroom. Since it's freshly laundered now, I could put this back in storage and this will be taken out for use next winter.


I store our comforters / sheets and bulky winter jackets in spacebags. Gosh, this is such a convenience! The picture shows a large spacebag with a queen-sized comforter (folded in 6 layers), it's so thin - around half an inch thick.


Note that it's still not perfect though, even though it's nicely vacuum packed and sealed, it doesn't last like that for very long. Air starts to seep in after a couple of months and the package will start getting bulky again. In my case, this isn't so much of a bother because even if the packages start bulking up again, they're already wedged in the shelf anyway. If I take an item out or if I need to add another space bag, I just vacuum the rest of the bags and I have space again.

1 comment:

Mai said...

That is pretty neat!