Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Nephew

Achi (my sister) called last night and told me a story about my younger nephew, Lyle. She had been out that morning and left her cellphone at home. When she got back to the apartment, the little guy comes running to her ..

Lyle: Mommy, 2 people called you.
Mommy: Really ? Who ?
Lyle: your mother
Mommy: My mother ? Who's my mother ? do you know her ?
Lyle: yes, your mother... my Ama, she called and asked for you.
Mommy: oh, and what did you say ?
Lyle: I said you went to the bank.
Mommy: and what about the other one who called ?
Lyle: it's your sister
Mommy: my sister ?
Lyle: yes, my A-i.
Mommy: what did she say ?
Lyle: I don't know

and the little guy left to play.

There were a few things "off" with that story.

1) Our mom had called my sister that morning but it was the older son, Lance, who took the call. Lyle was probably playing pretend and wanted to give a message to his mommy too.

2) I didn't call.

3) Lyle seems so fond of talking about people in terms of their relationship - "your mother", "your sister", "my brother".

This conversation has made the most impact so far but I can recall other instances when he would say "where did my brother go ?" instead of "where did Ahya go ?" I also remember that he was very fascinated with our family's relationships during my visit last June, these are some of his questions & comments:
  • "Are you my mom's sister ?", "Are you and my mom sisters ?"
  • "Is my Aku your brother ?", "Is my Aku my mom's brother ?"
  • "Who is your mother / father ?"
  • "Hey, my Angkong is your father ?"

I remember a time when I heard my sister call from the kitchen, "kids, can you ask your A-i to come out to eat ?" Lyle comes into my room and tells me "A-i, your sister is calling you." We were so amused at that time.

We would correct him, of course, but he would just answer back and say "but she is your sister, right ?" And, how would you counter that ?

... and one time, I called my sister's house to look for my Dad (my parents were visiting and staying with my sister that time), Lyle answered the phone and when I asked for "Angkong", he ran off and I heard this going on:

Lyle: Angkong, your daughter is looking for you.
Dad: Bunny? (that's my sister's nickname)
Lyle: No, Angkong, your other daughter!

It's funny, amusing and given that he's only 4, this is still cute. Lyle's older brother, Lance, did not go through this phase. Ganon ba talaga ? Are there any mommies & daddies out there who've seen the same behavior in their children ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my son joshua does that sometimes c: also the asking type he's only 3 yrs. old c: