Tuesday, March 4, 2008

V-day flowers

I decided to dry and preserve the dozen red roses that hubby gave me for V-day. I still had the flower drying silica that I used to dry the flowers that he sent me last year so I used those ( we did have to buy more because what I had weren't enough for a dozen flowers).

Cut up the stems to a length that I liked, buried the flowers in the silica gel (feels like sand) and 10 days later, we have perfectly dried flowers.

It's a shame though that the flowers darkened when they're dried, the color of the fresh roses were way way better than this.



Note to self: get larger container next time. The container that I used was deep enough for 2 layers of flowers. Turns out that this wasn't such a good idea because the flowers on the bottom layer looked like they were "squeezed".

I love this flower drying kit, it was a bit expensive to buy up front but the silica is reusable. So it does pay for itself after a while... so for all those girls out there who get flowers often, you might want to dry & preserve your flowers too.

No comments: