Thursday, March 20, 2008

How did you get engaged ?

Back when the hubby & I were still dating, I remember dropping subtle hints to the bf by telling him engagement stories that I've read or heard about. I would tell him stories of proposals where there were flower petals strewn across the room, or proposals where the ring was hidden in a bunch of flowers.

I wanted it to be special.

and memorable.

and I wanted a story worth telling.

and I wanted to hear ooohs and aaaahs when I tell the story of my engagement to my girlfriends.

Most of all, I wanted balloons.

Anyway, things didn't turn out that way. I don't really remember the details but I think it was really done during an overseas call where he said "I think we should get married" and I said "okay, it's about time" - or something like that. Our exchange back then may not be exactly the same as what I typed here now but the gist is the same.

I didn't get a ring until much later, when I finally got back home to jump start our wedding preparations.

Now, reading this article "Honey, will you marry me ? ...Oh.. Never Mind" where a man hid the ring inside a balloon and then have the balloon blown away ? uh... Never mind.

Poor guy.

Poor gal.

Lucky person who finds the balloon :) After all, it's a $12k ring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe I saw that article too. That was hilarious!

I think the "proposal" (also the engagement ring) is really a western tradition. I read that somewhere, forgot where. But in the Philippines (and maybe some other Asian cultures), the proposal is more like "let's get married" rather than the dramatic and romantic type with the woman being all caught by surprised. :)