Friday, May 21, 2021

Neighborhood kids

There're 2 new neighborhood kids who have been coming to our street, riding A bike. Yes, "A" bike. Singular. One would be riding and the other running on the side, they'd take turns on the bike. We see them when I'm out with Swe-cha in the early evenings, Swe-cha playing with his Razor scooter, trike or bike and I would just be sitting in our driveway.


This week, they each came with bikes. The older one said that they had just gotten his bike earlier that day and he pointed to Swe-cha's bike bell and asked where I got it. I asked why and he says that he wants to get one for his bike. I told him "ebay".  That night, I rummaged through my stash and found my last one , I gave the bell to him yesterday, he was so happy and quickly rushed home to install it,.. he came back a few minutes later, happily ringing the bell.


At some point, they'd gone back home and Swe-cha and I started drawing on our driveway with chalk. When the kids come back, the younger one pointed to the drawings and asked a question I couldn't understand. Older brother translated, 5 yr old was asking if we had chalk. I said yes, I asked Swe-cha to get one from and Swe-cha came back with a blue chalk. I gave it to the boy, he smiled and carefully put it in his pocket. I was a bit surprised because I expected him to draw but it's okay. he probably wanted to bring it home. 


As for the 14 yr old, his eyes were very wide as he asked "How many chalks do you have ?" I responded, "a few" but I didn't get the context of his question until the husband explained to me that he was probably wondering why the drawings on the driveway were in orange and I gave him a blue chalk, that would mean we had at least 2 colors. Husband pointed out that they probably didn't have chalk or probably didn't have all colors. I would later find out that they have at least 1 sister and 5 brothers. A box of chalk would go really fast in a family that size. In contrast, Swe-cha is an only child and pretty much has everything.  This also puts into context the amazement that the 5 year old had when he pointed out that Swe-cha had a Razor Scooter AND a bike AND a tricycle ? WOOOOWWWW!


I looked for and did find more sidewalk chalk, setting this aside for the kids tonight.



No comments: