Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sealing Gaps (Doors)

The 4th bedroom, currently designated as Swe-cha's playroon, is drafty.

VERY DRAFTY.

The insulation and sealing isn't great and its location (uppermost part of the house/attic area) isn't helping either. Worse, there is a 1.5 inch gap between the door and the floor.

When the wind is blowing or when it gets really really cold outside, I can literally feel cold wind blowing on my back if I stand in the upstairs hallway just outside of our bedrooms.

I have a draft stopper - sort of like a long beanbag - that I put against that gap to stop the draft but Swe-cha keeps going in and out of that room and NEVER puts that draft stopper back in place.

Today, I fashioned a seal made out of foam pipe insulation and it works great. This didn't cost me anything as the material is just scrap that I had left over from a previous project but if you have to buy one, it'll cost around $2 for a 6 foot long pipe insulation material.

No comments: