Saturday, June 5, 2010

Popcorn's Kitchen

My in-laws are in town and they've taken over the kitchen and I'm taking a long vacation from cooking duties. I fear that my digestive system is getting spoiled though - I grew up used to having at most 2 courses (ulam) on the table and with hubby's family in town, I'm seeing a soup dish and at least 2 more dishes ALL THE TIME.

MIL has been trying to educate me on the finer points of cooking and trying to pass on her knowledge. It hasn't been easy because I still have mommy duties to see to as I am almost always w/ Swe-cha all day, either entertaining him, playing with him, changing, feeding or putting him to sleep.

Anyway, it amazes me to see MIL in the kitchen. She makes it all seem so easy! A dash of soy sauce, a pinch of salt, sugar, pepper, mix it all around and it comes out perfect. And she even takes the time to arrange the food on the plate and separates the sauces so she can pour it over the food for better presentation - me ? I just dump it all from the pan to the plate, I feel so embarrassed when I think about it. Super kahiya. *blush*

My kitchen is seeing the likes of fuzzy squash, sea cucumber, and other exotic (exotic to me) ingredients these days. I just hope that I can replicate some of the dishes when they leave. It's such a shame that I didn't think about taking photos until last night. I'll be posting some photos at Popcorn's Kitchen in the next few weeks and will tag it "guest chef", watch out for it.

No comments: