Monday, October 26, 2009

Unexpected guest

I just found out that Mom had invited a family friend's son to come over in December and spend a few days with us in NJ and this is causing me a lot of anxiety.

The friend's son had called me last weekend and asked if he can bring a friend with him when he comes to visit. He says that his best friend was due to go back to China and was planning to visit him in December and he can't leave her. I was puzzled by his question - mostly because I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about (vacation with us in December? Who invited him ?) and I didn't quite understand why he had to leave his friend behind.

Eventually, a few things got sorted out and I realized that he planned to visit us in NJ in December (no definite dates). I just sort of said that it's okay for him to bring his friend along but to make sure that he calls me first and checks w/ me because if I have given birth by then, then no. It'll be crazy here by then. He agreed.

Still puzzled, I mentioned it to mom over the phone this morning because I couldn't figure out how it got decided that he was going to visit NJ in December - I was sure I had not issued any invitations to him.

Turns out that Mom had already invited him. So in December, we'll have a new baby. My parents will be over for 10 days and we'll have this friend's son over for a few days during their visit. Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun *SARCASTIC TONE*.

Mom said, "I invited him but not the friend, just him" and when I asked Mom where I was supposed to put him while they're here (after all, we only have a 2 BR condo), Mom says "in the living room, of course". As if that was the most obvious thing in the world.

I do not know what it is with my Mom and her predilection for placing MY guests in the living room. She always puts me in that position and I don't like it. She did that with my sister & her kids before when she decided at the last minute to come at the same time as Achi - eventually, the kids and Achi decided to sleep in the same room as Mom while Dad had to sleep on the floor, diba kainis ?

My living room is not a sleeping area.

I hate asking people to sleep on the floor, especially not my Dad.

I don't feel comfy sleeping in the living room too, we had to do that when we visited my sister's place in CA while she was still living in her apartment. Our clothes (and our persons) all smelled of food and cooking oil and we didn't get enough sleep because:
- since we were in the living room, we were the last ones to sleep because we couldn't roll out our airbeds & sleep until everyone else has fallen asleep (otherwise, they'd still be watching TV)
- we would wake up at 2:30am because that's when my bro-in-law comes home from hospital duty
- we'd also be the first ones up because Mom wakes up early and starts cooking breakfast and watching her Korean telenovelas at 5:30am, even though the others aren't going to start waking up till around 7a.

So, no, I do not like the idea of asking guests to sleep in my living room... especially not those who plan to stay for more than a few days because I know how uncomfortable that is.

I don't have anything bad to say about this friend's son. He's very nice and I've known him since he was a little baby. I love his mom to bits too. It's just that the timing is very inconvenient.

As much as I love my Mom and how understanding she can be in certain situations, she can be very inconsiderate at times too.

:(

No comments: